Forks Township was established in accordance with the Act of May 1, 1933 (Pennsylvania Law 103, Number 69), cited as "The Second Class Township Code", reenacted and amended.
The Second Class Township Code, in Article XV: Corporate Powers, Section 1506, General Powers, grants to the elected Board of Supervisors the corporate powers of Townships of the Second Class to make and adopt all such ordinances, by-laws, rules and regulations which may be deemed necessary for proper management, care and control of the Township, its finances, and maintenance of the peace.
Article XIX: Township Police, Section 1901, Appointment of Police, provides specifically for Township Police; including Appointment of Police, Section 1902; Powers, Section 1905; Shield, Section 1905; Equipment, Section 1907; and Lockups, Section 1908.
In 1930, the people of Forks Township in Northampton County, under the authority granted by the Constitution and the Laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to adopt home rule charters, did ordain and adopt a home rule charter to establish a Board of Supervisors form of government with full rights of local self government. The Township has and may exercise, any powers, and may perform any function not denied by the Constitution of the United States or the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, by this charter, or by an act of the General Assembly at any time.
The Forks Township Police Department is a legally constituted police department of a government entity, having been organized in 1945 by the Township of Forks Township under provisions of the Second Class Township Code.
The authority is granted by an order dated September 19, 1945, issued by Judge W..G. Barthold, of the Northampton County Court of Common Pleas, authorizing the Township of Forks to adopt a resolution establishing that "Two qualified electors, who are residents of Northampton County, to act as policemen and to serve at the will of the board of supervisors."
On November 3, 1945, the Forks Township Board of Supervisors adopted resolution No.5, accepting the order of the Northampton County Court, thereby establishing the Forks Township Police Department and the various duties of the two appointed police officers. The department existed in this part-time form until January 1965, when the Forks Township Board of Supervisors appointed the first full-time Chief of Police.